The following notes were taken from a manuscript written by the Revd' Ernest Eales in  1902. He was trying to establish the age of the church.

The actual age of the church is not known. Some people only refer to the date, that the Parish of St James came into being (1854) The present church is an enlargement of the original  Medieval Chapel of Saint James.

The Piscina in the North wall of the Chancel is pre-reformation (15th century). In 1618 The ancient chapel of St. James, Bream, was apparently in the hands of the Crown before this date, and was by letters patent of 16 James 1viz. June 30th
1618 apparently granted to William Wintour and William Bell and then by them conveyed to Thomas Donning of Bream, who made seats in the chapel.
In East wall of the vestry are two tombstone one is dated 1669 and the other 1747
In the old Bream Registers is an entry that is legible of the baptism of Beata the daughter of Henry and Martha Taylor on the 6th of January 1751

In the Vestry book of Newland church, ( St James was under the Newland Church)
1658 David James was chosen to be Overseer for Breem
1659 Mr. Edmund Bond chosen as Churchwarden for Colford and Breem

The church has had several restorations and alterations
1618 Thomas Donning  Authorised to put seating in the chapel of St. James Bream. Which seems to imply the pre-existence of the chapel.

Henry Pooles 1822 –26 Restoration of the Chapel   {the Crown granted £50 towards the repairs}. Mr Poole left the Chancel as it was, and he built an octagonal tower surmounted by Spire, also a small vestry on the north side with a door into the church.
It was consecrated by Bishop of Gloucester on the 13th October 1826.

Cornelius Witherby 1861 The Nave was lengthened westwards. The north Aisle with pillars and arches was erected. The Chancel was enlarged,the roof of both Chancel and Nave was raised. The octagonal tower built by Mr Poole was removed and a bell turret built. It was re-opened by the Bishop of Gloucester July 5th 1861.

Henry Edward Dandy 1889-1891 Removed the porch from middle of South wall to it's present position, a new window added. The old vestry pulled down and the North aisle extended. Dedication September 22nd 1891.
                                                                       

                       
The photo showing the oil lamps was taken before 1905. In 1905 the curtains behind the Alter were removed and an Oak Reredos fitted by Mr Cass in rememberance of his father.

1929   electric lights were installed in the church and the vicarage.

Philip Rees 1970’s & 1980’s Toilets, semi sound proof Crèche,and kitchen added

1981 Church fire, roof over the Chancel and the Vestry destroyed, re opened in 1983.      The pews were damaged in this fire and were replaced by chairs which enables the church to be more user friendly. Also the organ was destroyed and now a music group leads the singing.


1984/5 After the fire the wasted air space above the North Aisle was made into long meeting room with adjustable partitions for J Squad (Sunday school), and other meetings.

1992-1994 The PCC purchased the Old Methodist Chapel at the Eaves. It was refurbished as church offices and also as a fully functional Meeting Place with Kitchen and toilets facilities.
The
Under 5's group meet weekly, the senior citizens luncheon club meets fortnightly and it is used by the church Youth group, also other organizations use it occasionaly


Church Website